UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
TEXAS A&M AT KENTUCKY
RUPP ARENA | LEXINGTON, KY.
JAN. 9, 2018
Final Score: #21/20 Kentucky 74, Texas A&M 73
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 13-3 overall and 3-1 in the Southeastern Conference. Texas A&M is 11-5 overall, 0-4 in league play.
- Kentucky leads the series 9-3 and has won four in a row vs. the Aggies.
- UK leads the series 5-2 in Lexington.
- Kentucky begins a two-game road swing Saturday at Vanderbilt, 4 p.m. EST (3 p.m. CST in Nashville). The game will be televised on ESPN.
In the First Half
- Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, PJ Washington, Kevin Knox and Nick Richards for the third time this season. UK is 3-0 with this lineup.
- Kentucky extended its streak of 1,029 consecutive games with a 3-pointer when Washington hit a long ball at the 17-minute mark.
- Texas A&M came out hot, making 8 of the first 10 shots for an 18-14 lead. But, the Aggies missed their next six field goals and UK went on a 12-2 run for a 26-20 Wildcat advantage.
- UK went cold at that point, going over seven minutes without a field goal, but the Cats’ defense and foul shots kept them in the game.
- Knox swished a 3-pointer with eight seconds left to send UK to intermission with a 37-35 lead.
- Gilgeous-Alexander led the Wildcats with 12 points, most he has scored this season in the first half.
- UK is 9-1 this season when leading at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Tied at 67 with 2:44 remaining, Washington was involved with UK’s next six points:
- A steal by Washington led to a fast-break layup by Knox.
- A TAMU turnover was followed by a Washington foul shot.
- Two TAMU missed foul shots prefaced a Washington driving layup for a 72-67 lead with 58 seconds remaining.
- Ahead 72-69 with 37 seconds left, Washington got a rebound and hit a free throw.
- Ahead 73-71 with 15.9 seconds left, Knox hit a free throw.
- TAMU got a tip-in with five seconds left to make it 74-73.
- UK missed two foul shots, but a long Aggie pass went out of bounds at the buzzer as UK held on to win.
- It was a close game throughout, featuring 14 ties and 12 lead changes, and six points was the widest margin for either team during the game.
- UK shot 55.8 percent from the field, making 24 of 43.
- UK is 6-0 this season when making at least 50 percent, 10-0 when making at least 46.4 percent.
- UK outrebounded Texas A&M 28-27. The Wildcats are 12-0 this season when winning the battle of the boards.
- UK had only 12 turnovers tonight. The Cats are 6-0 this season when committing 12 or fewer miscues.
- UK has won a pair of one-possession games in the last week, 74-71 at LSU and 74-73 tonight.
- UK is 41-8 under Coach John Calipari in bounce-back games after losses, including 3-0 this season.
- Kentucky has won 16 in a row in Rupp Arena.
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander notched 16 points and a career-high seven rebounds.
- Had five assists tonight and has had at least four in six straight games.
- Hamidou Diallo led the Wildcats with 18 points, 14 of which came in the second half.
- Scored 10 in a row early in the second half.
- PJ Washington had 16 points, his third straight game in double figures.
- With the game tied at 67, Washington was involved with the next six points – a steal which led to a Knox layup, a free throw, a driving layup and a free throw.
- Kevin Knox tallied 15 points, making all five field goal attempts, including a pair of 3-pointers.
- Wenyen Gabriel only points came on a 3-pointer. He’s made at least one 3-pointer in eight consecutive games, the longest such streak for any UK player this season.
- Quade Green and Tai Wynyard missed the game because of injury.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari has a 707-196 all-time on-court record.
- Calipari is now 262-56 at Kentucky.
- Calipari is 145-6 at Rupp Arena, including 127-3 against unranked opponents.
- Calipari is 8-2 vs. Texas A&M in his career.